Barb Gau, MSW, LCSW is a licensed clinical social worker with over 25 years of experience as an individual, couples and family therapist and life coach. She maintains a private practice in Durham, NC.
In addition to being a skilled relationship therapist, Barb has received specialized training in energy focused therapy, mindfulness, and peak potential. She specializes in a wholistic approach to health and well-being that integrates mind-body-spirit in a manner that honors the client and his/her values.
Barb is an interactive, solution-focused therapist. Her therapeutic approach is to provide support, practical feedback, and useful tools,strategies, and resources to help clients effectively address personal life challenges and achieve life goals. She integrates complementary methodologies and techniques to offer a highly personalized approach tailored to each client. With compassion and understanding, she works with each individual to help them build on their strengths and attain the personal growth they wish to experience.
Education: Masters of Social Work, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1986; Wofford College, BS cum laude, Psychology
License: Licensed Clinical Social Worker # C000253 NC
Additional Training: Emotional Freedom Technique/Energy Focused Therapy; Mindfulness; Duke Family Studies Program; Peak Potential training
- 14 years as a faculty member in the Department of Psychiatry at Duke University
- 10 years as a Clinical Supervisor in the Duke Family Studies Program
- 10 years as the project manager of the Duke Universtiy Collaborative Twin Studies of Alzheimers Disease
- 3 years as a counselor at Elon University in the Student Counseling Center
- 10 years as a health and wellness coach
Memberships: North Carolina Society of Clinical Social Workers